Triangleᵀᴹ World Elite Mastercard® Review
The Triangleᵀᴹ World Elite Mastercard® is a new addition to the stable of credit cards offered by Canadian Tire Bank. It provides all of the solid benefits of a Mastercard® along with a set of features designed for those that spend substantially on groceries and gas. There’s no annual fee and interest rates are standard: 19.99% on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances.
Cardholders can earn Canadian Tire Money® at an accelerated rate of 3% back on grocery purchases at eligible stores¹. The accelerated rate is applicable for the first $12,000 of grocery purchases every year—that’s up to $360 in Canadian Tire Money® annually. Cardholders should, however, note that there’s an important exclusion to purchases that qualify as ‘groceries’: transactions at Walmart, Walmart Superstore, and Costco aren’t eligible for this accelerated 3% earn rate, and will instead earn at the card’s flat 1% rate. If you do a significant amount of your shopping at these stores, you might opt to go with a cash back or rewards card outside the Canadian Tire sphere. After crossing the $12,000 mark in grocery purchases, the card reverts to earning 1% back in that category.
Triangle™ World Elite Mastercard® cardholders also enjoy 7 cents per litre in CT Money® on premium fuel, 5 cents per litre in CT Money® on gas bought at Gas+ locations², and 4% back at stores in the Canadian Tire family: Canadian Tire, Mark®’s/ L’Équipeur®, Sport Chek® and Atmosphere®†.
Assess how much you will save in your first year based on your personal spending with our compare rewards credit cards table.
Other Card Perks
Some added benefits you can enjoy from the Triangle™ World Elite Mastercard® include:
- $0 annual fee
- 24/7 online account access and eStatements
- Tap & Go contactless payments for small purchases
- 1% back in CT Money® on all purchases outside the accelerated categories
- Triangle™ World Elite Mastercard® Roadside Assistance Gold Plan††
- No fee, no interest financing* on eligible purchases
Of the extra perks included, Roadside Assistance is particularly valuable. Every Triangleᵀᴹ World Elite Mastercard® member can appreciate a free membership in Canadian Tire’s program, which provides a bevy of vital services that will rescue cardholders who have experienced auto-related troubles. At any day or hour, Canadians can call to request a tow, fuel delivery, a flat tire change, battery boost, locked key retrieval, or winching services. The towing distance limit is one of the best, at a maximum of 250km. Such a membership would otherwise cost upwards of $50 annually.
No fee, no interest financing* means that certain eligible purchases with the Triangleᵀᴹ World Elite Mastercard® are exempt from fees and interest payments. This includes some items over $200 from the following Canadian stores: Canadian Tire, Sport Chek®, Mark®’s/L’Equipeur®, and Atmosphere®. Certain purchases will accrue no fees and can be split up into 12 or more payments at 0.00% interest, though these payments must be paid in full each month.
About Canadian Tire Money®
Canadian Tire Money® is a unique rewards system that is treated like cash in participating stores. It doesn’t expire as long as your account is active and is not transferrable to any other rewards points scheme. You can redeem Canadian Tire Money® instore for merchandise at participating stores (Canadian Tire, Mark®’s/ L’Équipeur®, Sport Chek® and Atmosphere®), although there are some exceptions to the purchases you can make. Gift cards and lottery tickets, among other items, are excluded. Canadian Tire Money® cannot be redeemed online or against a credit card statement.
You can learn more about redeeming Canadian Tire Money® by consulting our Loyalty Program Bible.
Who’s the Card For?
The Triangle™ World Elite Mastercard® is a good fit for Canadian families who spend significant amounts on groceries and gas and shop regularly at stores in the Canadian Tire network.
† The Triangleᵀᴹ Rewards Program is owned and operated by Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited. The Triangleᵀᴹ World Elite Mastercard® is issued by Canadian Tire Bank. Rewards are in the form of electronic Canadian Tire Money® (CT Money®). Not all items sold at Canadian Tire, SportChek and participating Mark’s/L’Equipeur, Atmosphere and other partner locations are eligible to earn CT Money® or to be redeemed for. Certain Mark’s/L’Equipeur and Atmosphere stores may not participate. Conditions apply. Visit triangle.com for full program rules and Partner location information including which locations do not participate. The offered rate is exclusive of any bonus or promotional offers or redemption transactions. CT Money® is collected on the pre-tax amount of the purchase at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek®, Atmosphere®, Mark®’s/L’Equipeur® and PartSource®.
¹ 3% earn rate applies to the first $12,000 in annual spend at grocery stores with Mastercard® merchant code 5411. Excludes purchases at Walmart, Walmart Superstore and Costco. After that, your earn rate will be 1%. For examples of qualifying grocery merchants, visit triangle.com/merchants. Annual spend is based on a calendar year of January 1 – December 31.
² CT Money® is collected on the number of whole litres of fuel purchased when you show your Triangleᵀᴹ card, mobile App or key fob and pay with cash or debit. Rate subject to change and could vary by location, see local gas bar for details. Not all Gas+ locations have premium fuel. Must go inside kiosk to collect rewards with App or key fob.
†† Must activate for service to begin, your services begin 24 hours after activation.
* Financing available is “Equal payments, no interest” for 12 months (unless otherwise stated) and is only available on request, on approved credit and on purchases of $200 or more (excluding gift cards) made with your Triangleᵀᴹ credit card at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek® and participating Marks® and Atmosphere® locations. Interest does not accrue during the period of the plan. However, if we do not receive the full minimum due on a statement within 59 days of the date of that statement, or any event of default (other than a payment default) occurs under your Cardmember Agreement, all special payment plans on your account will terminate and (i) you will then be charged interest on the balances outstanding on such plans at the applicable regular annual rate from the day after the date of your next statement, and (ii) the balances outstanding will form part of the balance due on that statement. There is no administration fee charged for entering into a special payments plan. Each month during an equal payments plan you are required to pay in full by the due date that month’s equal payments plan instalment. Any unpaid portion not received by the due date will no longer form part of the equal payments plan and interest will accrue on that amount from the day after the date of your next statement at the applicable regular annual rate.
Additional information for residents of Quebec only: The regular annual rate for persons applying for the Triangleᵀᴹ Mastercard® or Triangleᵀᴹ World Elite Mastercard® is 22.99% for cash transactions and related fees and 19.99% for all other charges. Some applicants may receive a higher or lower regular annual rate depending on a credit evaluation. The minimum payment is the sum of (a) interest and fees shown on your statement, (b) the greater of any amount past due or any balance over your credit limit, (c) the amount of any equal payments plan instalments then due, and (d) $10. Balances under $10 are due in full. For residents of Quebec, the period between the statement date and the due date for payment is 26 days. The billing period covered by each statement can be from 28-33 days. The Triangleᵀᴹ Mastercard® and Triangleᵀᴹ World Elite Mastercard® do not have an annual fee. Examples of borrowing costs (rounded to the nearest cent) assuming that all charges are purchases bearing interest at the regular annual rate of 19.99%, a 30 day month, no charges made on special payment plans and no other fees, additional payments or other changes are:
|If your Average Balance is||Total Monthly Credit Charges will be|