Scotiabank American Express® Card Review
The Scotiabank American Express® Card is a travel card that makes it easy for customers to earn and redeem Scene+ points both at home and abroad. Some purchases made with the card are also eligible for special extended warranties and price protection.
In This Article:
At a Glance
- No Annual Fee!
- Earn up to 12,000 bonus Scene+™ points in your first year (that's up to $120 towards travel).¹ Offer ends April 30, 2023.
- Earn 3X Scene+ points for each dollar charged to your account on all eligible purchases¹ at Sobeys, IGA, Safeway, Foodland, FreshCo, Voilà by Sobeys, Voilà by IGA, Voilà by Safeway, Chalo! FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, IGA West, Les Marchés Tradition, Rachelle Béry and Co-O.
- Earn 2X Scene+ points for every $1 CAD spent on eligible grocery stores, restaurants, fast food, and drinking establishments. Includes popular food delivery and food subscriptions
- Earn 2X Scene+ points for every $1 CAD spent on eligible entertainment, including movies, theatres and ticket agencies
- Earn 2X Scene+ points for every $1 CAD spent on eligible gas and daily transit. Includes rideshare, buses, taxis, subway, and more
- Earn 2X Scene+ points for every $1 CAD spent on eligible select streaming services
- Earn 1X Scene+ point for every $1 spent on every other purchase
- Redeem points for travel arrangements without restrictions
- Book trips with Scene+ Travel Service
Why We Like It
- Save During First Year: The Scotiabank American Express® Card is yours for no annual fee at all! So you will get the most out of your travel rewards.
- Earn Scene+ points: Customers can earn up to 12,000 bonus Scene+™ points in your first year (that’s up to $120 towards travel).¹ Earn 7,000 bonus Scene+ points by making at least $750 in everyday eligible purchases in your first 3 months. Plus, for a limited time, you are eligible to earn a 5,000 Scene+ point bonus when you spend at least $5,000 in everyday eligible purchases in your first year. Offer ends April 30, 2023. Cardholders will earn Scene+ points on most purchases and can easily accumulate Scene+ points by using the Scotiabank American Express® Card for routine purchases.
- Redeem Without Restrictions: Cardholders can redeem their Scene+ points with the help of travel agents in the Scene+ Travel Service. Customers can book trips anywhere with no restrictions or blackout periods that accompany many competing cards. Furthermore, members can rest assure knowing they are receiving the best available price for whatever they purchase. The company’s best price guarantee gives cardholders the ability to earn back the difference in price if they find a cheaper alternative for the same itinerary within 24 hours, adding to the advantages of booking travel with the service.
- Enjoy Special Offers: American Express® Members receive special privileges whether traveling or shopping at home. The company will notify cardholders of special offers and experiences available, including table booking at fine dining establishments, theatre engagements, film screenings and more. In addition, Scotiabank invites customers to take advantage of exclusive offers such as discounts and amenities when travelling.
- Added Protections on Purchases: The Scotiabank American Express® Card includes an automatic 90-day purchase protection on eligible items against theft, loss or damage. An automatic extended warranty also doubles the manufacturer’s warranty term by up to an extra year when you charge the full cost of most items to your card.
Is It Worth It?
Those individuals who want to quickly redeem points on travel and save money on purchase protections will find this card particularly useful. However, annual interest rates charged for balance transfers, purchases and cash advances are comparable to industry standard rates, indicating the availability of better options if a potential member is considering transferring a balance.
The Scotiabank American Express® Card is a flexible and rewarding travel card, giving customers the ability to earn points on all eligible purchases. Points can be redeemed flexibly without travel restrictions, and on a variety of brand name merchandise. Customers who travel frequently will enjoy the ability to book travel and redeem easily with this card and the purchase security and extended warranty protection.¹ Conditions Apply. Visit here for the Scotiabank American Express® Card to learn more.
would you say this would be an ok starter credit card for a student with a good ongoing income?
If you’re enrolled as a student, then in Canada you have a special status that allows you to qualify for an SPC (Student Price Card), which offers great discounts in many places that students shop. Though SPC cards are often a bit too simplistic for students with incomes and credit scores who can otherwise be eligible for a full-fledged rewards card, they have good value. The Scotiabank Gold Amex card is also quite suitable for a student, especially one in your situation.
Why is it good for a student? The earnings categories, for one. Being able to get 5 points per $1 spent on food and 3 points per $1 spent on transit and gas is crucial for students like you, who ideally want to spend as little of their income as possible on these things. It’s also nice to get those pesky 2.50% foreign transaction fees out of sight, and out of mind, though we’re not sure how often you’ll be travelling as a student. We’d normally say that the $120 annual fee is enough to dissuade a student from the card as well, but since you have a good income it shouldn’t be an issue. Thumbs up from us.
Thanks so much for the reply. What would you set as a minimum income for the gold Amex scotiabank Card? I’m quite intrigued as the perks are much better than that of the regular card.
Thanks so much for the reply. What would you set as a minimum income for the gold Amex scotiabank Card? I’m quite intrigued as the perks are much better than that of the regular card. However, I don’t want to risk a hard hit to my credit as I’ve never had a credit card before.