CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card Review
If you’re a Canadian who travels regularly and you’re in the market for a credit card that offers a generous welcome bonus, plenty of perks, and a comprehensive travel insurance program, the CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card is worth a closer look.
In This Article:
At a Glance
- $139 annual fee (rebated for the first year), including on up three additional authorized users ($50 each): over $189 in value†
- 20,000 Aventura points when you make your first purchase†
- 20,000 Aventura Points when you spend $1,000 or more in the first 4 monthly statement periods†
- Get a NEXUS◊ application fee rebate ($50 USD value)†
- Elevate your airport experience with 4 complimentary visits at 1,200+ lounges globally through Visa Airport Companion Program: over $190 in value.†
- 1.5 points for every $1 spent on eligible gas stations, grocery stores, and drug stores† (up to $80K spent in these categories annually)
- 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases†
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Insurance coverage up to $1000 for mobile devices purchased with the card†
CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* cardholders will receive 1-2 Aventura points for every $1 of eligible purchases made on their credit card:
- 2 points per $1 spent on travel purchases through the CIBC Rewards Centre†
- 1.5 points for every $1 spent on eligible purchases at a gas station, grocery store, or drugstores†. This special earn rate in these categories is only applicable through the first $80k spent on the account annually, including on supplementary cards; after exceeding $80k in purchases, cardholders will earn 1 point per $1 spent in these categories until the annual limit resets each December.
- All other eligible purchases will earn 1 point per $1 spent.†
New cardholders who apply will receive a welcome bonus of up to 20,000 Aventura Points after making the first eligible purchase on the card†, and 20,000 Aventura Points when you spend $1,000 or more in the first 4 monthly statement periods†. See “About Aventura Points” below to learn more about how you can use your points.
About Aventura Points
Unlike some competing credit card rewards programs, Aventura points are relatively easy to understand and use.
When using CIBC Aventura points for travel-related purchases, the redemption rate is variable depending on your destination when booking with any of several airlines available through the CIBC Rewards program.
The Aventura Airline Rewards Chart includes five flight categories: short- and long-haul between the US and Canada, flights to Europe and the rest of the world, and a range of points required to redeem for flights in each category.
Short-haul flights, such as Toronto to New York City, can be booked for as low as 10,000 points plus tax, while European destinations can be booked for 50,000-70,000 points plus tax. Taxes and fees do need to be paid on top of the base fair, but you can use your points to pay for them at a rate of 1 point per 1 cent.
One of the best things about using Aventura points to book travel is that there are no blackout dates, since you are booking in real time. You can also call CIBC Rewards to book anything that you have found on Expedia or Orbitz.
Finally, Aventura points can be redeemed for gift cards, a statement credit, financial products such as a TFSA contribution with CIBC, and merchandise, but these redemption paths offer less value compared to travel rewards redemptions.
The CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card has lots of additional benefits and perks, some of which are a part of the Visa Infinite program, that will come in handy both at home in Canada and while travelling abroad. Among the most notable is mobile device insurance coverage, which reimburses cardholders up to $1000 for a mobile device that is lost, stolen, or accidentally damaged†. The phone needs to be purchased on the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card for this insurance to apply.
Two other great perks for travellers include the rebate on the NEXUS◊ application fee† and 4 complimentary visits at 1,200+ lounges globally through Visa Airport Companion Program: over $190 in value.†
CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card Travel Insurance
The CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card offers a fairly comprehensive travel insurance package, which includes coverage of the following:
- Flight Delay and Baggage Insurance†
- Trip cancellation and trip interruption Insurance†
- Out-of-province emergency travel medical Insurance†
- Auto rental collision and loss damage Insurance†
- $500,000 common carrier accident Insurance†
- Purchase security and extended protection Insurance†
- Hotel burglary Insurance†
- Mobile Device Insurance†
Cardholders should be aware that out of province travel medical insurance applies for 15 consecutive days per trip for those aged 64 or under, but only 3 days for those aged 65 or over. The coverage is valid only if you charge the entirety of your travel expenses (flights, car rentals, hotels etc.) to your CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card.
The CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card has a 20.99%† Purchase Annual Interest Rate, 22.99%† (for non-Quebec residents only) Cash Advance Annual Interest Rate, and a 22.99%† (for non-Quebec residents only) Balance Transfer Annual Interest Rate.
Who’s the Card For?
The CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card is particularly valuable for those drawn to a big initial signup bonus and who don’t mind maximizing the value of the points they earn by redeeming them exclusively for travel. Its mobile device insurance is also very relevant for those planning to buy an expensive new phone in the near future and who are concerned about the cost of replacing it in the event that it’s lost/stolen.
The card is less suitable for those who value flexibility in how they redeem rewards points, or for those looking for specific travel features not included in the card (like the aforementioned waiving of foreign transaction fees).
This is a digital-exclusive offer.† To be eligible for this offer, you must apply for a new eligible card using the “Apply Now” link available on this webpage.†
Quebec Residents – Learn More about this CIBC product here
Résidents du Québec : Pour en savoir plus sur ce produit CIBC, suivez ce lien