CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa* Card Review
The CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa* Card is great for anyone who has consistent spending habits and wants to put those to use through travel rewards. Frequent travelers would benefit from using this card because of its elite opportunities and great rewards that make travel more affordable and specialized.
If you are able to use this card for essential purchases and consistently pay your balance, you can maintain great credit and reap awesome travel benefits!
Here is everything you need to know about the CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa* Card.
In This Article:
This card has a great welcome offer of up to $1,250 in value including a first year annual fee rebate.†
- 20,000 Aventura Points when you make your first purchase†
- 15,000 Aventura Points when you spend $1,000 monthly or more during the first year.†
- 5,000 Aventura Points as an additional anniversary bonus.†
- Get a one-time annual fee rebate ($139) for you (the primary cardholder) and up to three authorized users ($50 each): over $189 value†
- Enjoy a Priority Pass Membership and 4 complimentary visits per year at 1,300+ airport lounges†: over $200 value†
- Plus, get a NEXUS Application Fee rebate†: A $50 value†
With the CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa* Card, you earn:
- 2 points for every $1 spent on travel purchased through the CIBC Rewards Centre†
- 1.5 points for every $1 spent at eligible gas stations, grocery stores and drug stores†
- 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases†
The CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa* Card has a 20.99%† annual interest rate on purchases, 22.99%† (21.99% QC only) annual interest rate on cash advances, and a 22.99%† (21.99% QC only) annual interest rate on balance transfers.
This card has an annual fee of $139, rebated for your first year†. Each additional card (you can get up to 3) is $50 which is also rebated in the first year.†
Here is a list of the different forms of insurance this card provides you with:
- Mobile Device Insurance
- Hotel Burglary Insurance
- Purchase Security and Extended Protection Insurance
- Flight and baggage delay insurance
- $500,000 Common Carrier Accident Insurance
- Auto rental Collision and Loss damage Insurance
- Out-of-Province Emergency Travel Medical Insurance
Access to Specialty Experiences and Travel
- Enjoy a Priority Pass Membership and 4 complimentary visits per year at 1,300+ airport lounges.†
- Aventura points can be redeemed for flights with any airline, hotels, car rentals, merchandise, gift cards and more.
- The Aventura Travel Assistant provides cardholders with access to personalized travel booking and trip planning with no booking fees.
- Use Aventura Points to cover full airfare including taxes and fees.
Discounts and Deals
- No blackout periods or restrictions, and points that don’t expire
- Get a NEXUS application fee rebate†
- Get a 20,000-point welcome bonus when you make your first purchase†
- Car rental discounts available
Pros and Cons of the
- High value welcome offer
- Minimal household annual income required
- Exceptional points-redeemable travel opportunities and other perks like Priority Pass Membership and 4 complimentary visits per year at 1,300+ airport lounges†
- High annual fee (rebated for your first year)†
To be eligible for this card you must:
- Be a Canadian resident at the age of majority in your province
- Have a minimum annual household income of $15,000
- Have not declared bankruptcy within the past 7 years
- Have a good credit score (740-850).
How to Apply
You can apply online here for this card, call CIBC’s toll free number, or book an appointment with your bank.
How to Earn and Redeem Aventura Points
You can maximize your rewards by using your CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa* Card for most purchases, especially within the categories (grocery stores, drugstores, and gas stations) where you can earn a higher amount of points. You can use your points to pay down your balance or pay your monthly balance on time and use the points towards special rewards.
You can redeem your points through the CIBC Rewards Centre on travel, gift cards, merchandise, or other experiences. The higher the amount of Aventura points you have, the more valuable rewards you can cash them in for. For example, saving up more Aventura points will give you more accessible travel opportunities to places that may be out of country or out of continent.
How Does the ompare to Other Travel Rewards Cards?
|Credit Card||CIBC Aventura Gold Visa Card||TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card||Scotiabank PassportTM Visa Infinite* Card|
|Welcome Offer||See terms|
Earn up to 40,000 Aventura Points and other bonuses totaling over $1,250 in value†
|Earn up to 25,000 Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass†. Plus, first year no Annual Fee†. Conditions Apply. Must apply by March 6, 2022.||Earn up to 30,000 bonus Scene+ points in your first year (that’s up to $300 towards travel). Plus, no annual fee in the first year, including on supplementary cards. Terms and conditions apply.|
|Earn Rate||1 - 2 points†||1 - 1.5 points||1 - 2 Scene+ points|
|Annual Fee||See terms||$139 (Annual Fee Rebate)†||$139|
|Additional Perks||Extensive insurance benefits|
Wide variety of travel rewards available for redemption
High earn rate for Aventura Points.
Free Priority Pass membership with 4 complimentary visits per year†
|High earn rate for Aeroplan points, making it possible to earn miles quickly||Points can be redeemed through another vendor as long as the trip is charged to your Passport credit card, which adds flexibility in travel planning
Free Priority Pass membership with six airport lounge passes per year.
|Apply Now||Apply Now||Apply Now||Apply Now|
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card is not available for residents of Quebec. For Quebec residents, please click here.
†Terms and conditions apply.
In this table, you can see some of the best features and essential info about comparable travel rewards credit cards we’ve reviewed.
There are plenty of things to consider when deciding on the most suitable travel rewards card for you. The earn rate and available options for rewards, as well as restrictions and /or flexibility of redeeming for those rewards are all important things to compare.
You should also consider the pros and cons of different travel rewards programs. For example, the Scotiabank and CIBC cards have more transfer partners, whereas the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card does not. Additionally, the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card offers six Priority Pass Membership passes per year and the CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa* Card includes four complimentary passes per year to 1,300+ airport lounges†, whereas the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card does not offer lounge access at all.
Overall, The CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa* Card is a great option for any frequent travelers and spenders. In order to earn the points you’d like to redeem on travel, you have to make sure your spending habits line up with the ways in which you can earn these points.
That being said, if you have a family and spend a good amount on both groceries and gas, this card is a sure-fire opportunity to earn points toward the travels of your dreams. Not only that, but there are other fun rewards and financial products available as a CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa* Card cardholder.
The minimal income requirement can be great but do proceed with caution in applying for this card simply because you fit that requirement. You want to make sure you are able to manage this card in a smart way for your finances and lifestyle.
† Conditions apply
Quebec Residents – Learn More about this CIBC product here
Résidents du Québec : Pour en savoir plus sur ce produit CIBC, suivez ce lien