BMO AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* Review
Looking for that elusive rewards credit card with a hefty sign-up bonus and no annual fee? We got you covered. Want that no annual fee credit card to come with awesome rewards opportunities? How about access to Canada’s largest loyalty program with over 10 million active members, and one of the country’s richest earn rates? Check.
The BMO AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* remains one of Canada’s most popular no fee loyalty credit cards, with its superb sign-up offer of 800 Air Miles* – and absolutely no annual fee. Not now, not ever.
The 800 welcome bonus miles* (when you spend $1,000 within the first three months) for the BMO AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* is worth about $80 if you redeem for travel*. It’s also a great no-fee MasterCard to accumulate rewards in Costco!
Even if you have another “favourite” credit card in your wallet already, why not give one of Canada’s most popular credit cards and loyalty programs a try?
In This Article:
BMO AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* Travel Hacking Secret
Long gone are the days when Air Miles were only good for toasters and blenders. Air Miles can now be used for instant cash rewards, travel or merchandise. You can double dip getting miles with your credit card AND your Air Miles collector card to earn miles doubly fast. And you can get bonus miles with your card at retailers!
However, when doing our research, we found an unexpected revelation. With Air Miles rewards, you can hack your way to one of the highest travel earn rates of any rewards credit card in Canada, let alone a no annual fee card. The trick is to redeem for short-haul flights at the last minute. Doing so will earn you upwards of 2.04% in value from your BMO AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* – that’s $2.04 per $100 spent!
For example, in our research a flight from Toronto to Boston booked 2 days before departure cost $664 (excluding taxes & fees), which we were able to book for 1300 Air Miles – worth 51 cents a mile ($664/1300)! Divide 51 cents by $25 (1 air miles per $25 spent on the credit card) and you get $2.04 in rewards for every $100 spent on your BMO AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* – unparalleled redemption value.
Compare the earn rate of 2.04% of the BMO AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* to the 2% earn rate offered by many of Canada’s top premium travel cards that come with a $150 annual fee and the value is obvious.
So the BMO AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* is not only offering a great 800 Air Miles* sign-up bonus, it also offers one of the best reward earn rates per dollar spent. By the way, if travel isn’t your thing, feel free to use Air Miles Cash Rewards to redeem at the till with so many of Air Miles’ retail partners like Sobeys and Metro. Plus you can consolidate debt onto the card with a low 1.99% interest rate on balance transfers for the first 9 months after you sign up (1% balance transfer fee applies)*.
BMO® AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* Benefits
Here are some of the additional perks that help this card stand-out from the pack:
- 800 Bonus Air Miles welcome bonus – 800 AIR MILES Welcome Bonus Miles when you spend $1,000 within the first three months*
- No Annual Fee There is no annual fee on this card – ever
- Earn Double Rewards Use your BMO® AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* and AIR MILES Collector Card at an AIR MILES sponsor to earn reward miles from both
- Earn Double Miles Get 3x the Miles for every $25 spent at participating AIR MILES Partners*
- Earn on Everything Earn 1 Air Miles rewards for every $25 spent on the credit card*
- Free Additional Cards With no annual fee, you can get as many authorized users on your card as you’d like to help you accumulate Air Miles even faster!
- Discounts Get up to a 25% discount at National Car Rental and Alamo Rent A Car*
- Insurance double manufacturer’s warranty up to a year and automatically insure items against theft or damage for 90 days from date of purchase with your card*
- Low 1.99% interest rate on balance transfers in the first 9 months (1% fee applies to balance amount transferred)*
With the sign-up bonus now at 800 Air Miles* with no annual fee, this card offers superb value. With no annual fee, there’s absolutely no risk putting another card in your wallet, and you’re getting $80 of house money to play with. Free is always worth it.
To our knowledge, there is no better no fee Air Miles credit card offer than the 800 mile sign-up bonus* offered by the BMO® AIR MILES®† MasterCard®* right now. If you have a better offer, feel free to share, but as for now, we think this is the best in the Canadian marketplace today.
*Terms and conditions apply
BMO is not responsible for maintaining the content on this site. Please click on the Apply now link for the most up to date information.