American Expressᵀᴹ Cobalt Card Review
The new American Express Cobalt Card presents a lucrative opportunity for Canadians who love dining and travel, and who want to quickly accumulate rewards from purchases in those categories.
In the first year, new Cobalt cardholders can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards points for each monthly billing period in which at least $500 in purchases are made on the card.
At a Glance:
- Earn up to 30,000 bonus points in the first 12 months
- 5 points per $1 spent on eligible eats and drinks, including restaurants, bars, food delivery, and groceries
- 2 points per $1 spent on eligible travel and transit, including airfare, hotels, ground transit, and gas
- 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
- Redeem points on travel, merchandise, Amazon.ca or for statement credits
- $10 monthly fee
Cardmembers appreciate a full variety of insurance features, including out-of-province medical care and travel accident coverage. The card also provides insurance for flight and baggage delay, hotel burglary, lost or stolen baggage, and new purchases. The card’s annual $120 fee is fairly standard for a rewards card, but the fee can be paid on a monthly basis (in $10 installments), unlike most of its competitors.
Why We Like It
- Monthly Bonuses: We like that the 2,500-point monthly bonus is flexible from month to month; if you miss out on spending $500 in April, you can still earn points for May if you spend $500 then. It’s not an all-or-nothing bonus structure.
- Big Earnings Potential: The 5x accelerator for spending on food—whether at restaurants, bars, or for groceries—can generate massive points.
- Broad Point Redemption: Points can be easily redeemed through the Amex Travel Online, or on merchandise available online as well. Points can also be used for statement credits on almost any purchase made on the card. For those who love concerts, sports, or theatre, Amex makes it easy to redeem points on Ticketmaster. Additionally, points can simply be used as a credit against the card’s monthly statement, or on Amazon.ca through the Shop with Points program.
- Free Supplementary Cards: Cardmembers can open a supplementary card to extend the benefits of the Amex Cobalt to others. It’s completely free and is a great way to include a spouse or immediate family member in the fun.
- High Level of Protection: Get a full suite of insurance features with the Amex Cobalt, including up to $5,000,000 on out-of-province medical and $250,000 on travel accident insurance. Alongside these bonuses, members will appreciate insurance features covering flight and baggage delays, baggage or rental car theft, motel or hotel burglary, and rental car damage coverage. New purchases are also protected, with extended warranties increased up to an additional year.
What Are the Interest Rates?
|Purchase Regular APR||Cash Advance Rate||Penalty APR|
Is It Worth It?
The American Express Cobalt Card is tailored to foodies and travel enthusiasts. Canadians can earn accelerated points from both dining out and cooking at home, and can then redeem those points on their next vacation. That, combined with the ability to earn up to 30,000 bonus points and a broad redemption structure, make the card really stand out in the rewards category.
* American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply link. Conditions Apply.
This post was sponsored by Amex Bank of Canada. The views and opinions expressed in this blog, however, are purely my own.
*American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link.