American Express® Aeroplan®* Card Review
Launched in partnership with the new Aeroplan Program, the American Express® Aeroplan® Card is considered to be the ‘core’ card of the three brand new American Express Aeroplan credit cards. If you collect Aeroplan Points and are a frequent flyer with Air Canada®* , then it’s worth considering. Here’s what you need to know.
In This Article:
Pros and Cons
- Enticing perks for Air Canada®* travellers
- All purchases earn points
- Flexible options for supplementary cards depending on goals
- Insurance coverage is lacking
- Low welcome bonus points compared to similar travel credit cards
- Limited retailers where AMEX is accepted (but growing)
New American Express® Aeroplan®* Cardmembers can earn up to 50,000 Aeroplan®* points:
- Earn 20,000 Aeroplan points after spending $1,500 in net purchases on your Card within the first 3 months of Cardmembership.
- Plus, earn 2,500 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in purchases on your Card for the first twelve months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 30,000 Aeroplan points.
How to Earn Points
Earning points is easy with the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card standard earn rates. Cardholders will earn 2X the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada®* and Air Canada vacations®*, 1.5X the points on eligible Dining and Food Delivery purchases in Canada, and 1X the points on everything else.
How to Redeem Points
Redeeming your Aeroplan points is fairly straightforward and can be done online at AirCanada.com or via the Air Canada App.
You can redeem your Aeroplan points for a variety of different things including flights, hotels, vacation packages, car rentals, experiences and activities, merchandise, and gift cards. Typically speaking, the best value for your Aeroplan points is to use them towards travel, specifically towards flights. Under the new program, there is no specific zone or route that will give you the best CPM (cost per mile). A number of factors mean this will always vary. Generally speaking, if you can get your CPM to around $0.02 (or higher) then you have found a good deal.
Additional Perks and Features
The American Express® Aeroplan®* Card includes several additional benefits and perks including the following:
Save on Baggage Fees
Your first checked bag (up to 23kg/50lbs) will be checked for free. This applies to up to nine people traveling on the same reservation on Air Canada®* flights.
Reach Aeroplan Elite Status Faster
Cardholders will earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles (SQM) and 1 Status Qualifying Segment (SQS) for every $10,000 charged to the card.
Access to Amex Experiences
Cardholders will get access to special Amex Experiences including music, sports, dining, entertainment, and more.
Front of the Line
Access to presale and reserved tickets to select events and experiences.
Cardholders will receive the following coverage:
- Flight delay insurance
- Baggage delay insurance
- Lost/Stolen baggage insurance
- Hotel burglary insurance
- Car rental theft and damage insurance
- $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance
- Travel Emergency Assistance
Please note there is no trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance or emergency medical insurance.
Cardholders will also enjoy buyer’s assurance protection that extends the manufacturer’s warranty up to one additional year as well as purchase protection of up to $1,000 for 90 days from the date of purchase in case of accidental damage and theft.
Rates and Fees
This card comes with an annual fee of $120. Additional card fees vary, depending on which type of card you choose. If you would like an additional card that allows you to collect points and share in some of the benefits, then it will cost $50 per year. If you just want an additional card that allows you to collect points (no shared benefits) then there is no annual fee.
In order to qualify for the card you need to meet the following requirements:
- Must be a Canadian resident
- Must be the age of majority in your home province
- Must have a good credit score (650+)
How to Apply
Applying for the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card card is easy and can be done online in just a few minutes.
- Visit the Amex Aeroplan card page here and click the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- A new window will pop up with some product and privacy information. Make sure you read through this then click ‘agree and begin’.
- You will then be asked to fill out your personal and contact information including name, address, and birthdate. You will need your Social Insurance Number (SIN) so make sure that you have that on hand.
- Once you have entered all your information, give it a once over and submit it.
- According to the website, the decision as to whether you will be approved or not will be made within 60 seconds.
What’s Our Take?
When it comes to travel credit cards, the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card leaves us with a lot to be desired. As a brand new card, we had hoped to see a higher welcome bonus. We’re also disappointed with the travel insurance. As a travel credit card, some key coverage is missing. That said, if you are a dedicated Air Canada traveler, the additional perks like a free checked bag and higher earn rate on Air Canada®* and Air Canada vacations®* travel is definitely a benefit.
Is the card a bad choice? Not at all. There are, however, better and more lucrative options on the market.
American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply.