Bank of Montreal’s AIR MILES Mastercard is great for those who frequently travel within Canada, as the introductory bonus of 500 reward miles comprises almost half of the cost of a flight from Toronto to Thunder Bay.
This bonus, plus the many ways that the AIR MILES Mastercard makes it easy to earn miles, means that travelers can save substantially on their annual trip expenses.
At a Glance:
- $0 annual fee
- Welcome bonus of 500 AIR MILES
- Earn 1 reward mile per $20 spent (special promotion of 3x Miles until October 31st, 2017)
- Earn 1.25 miles per $20 spent at Shell, National and Alamo car rentals
- Earn double miles rate at participating stores
- Purchase protection
- Free supplementary cards
- Discounted car rentals at National and Alamo
Many other cards restrict the cardholder to a certain franchise or type of purchase, but this card allows the steady accrual of 1 mile for every $20 spent, anywhere. In addition, a wide selection of participating sponsors, such as Ace Hardware, Foodland Ontario, Jean Coutu and more allow cardholders to earn double on their purchases.
Why We Like It:
- Discounted Car Rentals: Aside from earning miles at a slightly advanced rate when renting a car at National or Alamo, cardholders are also eligible to receive up to a 25% discount off car rental costs.
- Free Supplementary Cards: Cardholders are exempt from additional fees when adding cardholders to their account. This could be a spouse, family member or close acquaintance, and not only saves money, but also enables an increased pace of mileage accrual.
- Purchase Protections: A unique Mastercard advantage, cardholders who use their BMO AIR MILES card to purchase valuable items will enjoy an extended warranty for up to one year. Combined with 90 days of automatic insurance against damage or theft, there are few reasons not to use the card on important, big-ticket purchases.
- Introductory Bonus: New cardholders will automatically receive 500 miles credited directly to their account just for signing up. This represents a significant discount on an upcoming flight, free merchandise from the AIR MILES catalogue, hotel stays, package vacations and more.
- Effortless Earning: Cardholders do not have to modify their shopping when considering how to earn miles. A flat 1 mile per $20 spent everywhere helps to earn with no restrictions, and increased rates at participating retailers or services just sweetens the deal.
- Flexible Rewards: The AIR MILES ecosystem is one of the best available for cardholders, considering it allows members to redeem their miles on a number of great rewards. From discounted flights and hotel stays to car rentals, vacation packages, merchandise and more, AIR MILES are valuable to everyone.
This card is most suitable for people looking to join the AIR MILES ecosystem to see if it suits their needs, without committing to a card that requires exorbitant annual fees. Overall, there are cards out there with more lucrative signup bonuses and rewards accrual rates, but they typically require an investment. For no annual fee, the BMO AIR MILES Mastercard is very worthwhile.