Rogers customers should be ecstatic – and so should everyone else. The new Rogers Platinum Mastercard is one of Canada’s richest cash back cards with a surprising one of a kind feature that makes it stand out from the pack – even if you’re not a Rogers customer, it’s worth a look.
To start, the Rogers MasterCard has the richest flat cash back rate in all of Canada for a no-fee card of 1.75% on ALL spend, with no limits – rich, simple & transparent. Compare that to most other no fee flat cash back rates of .75% to 1.25% and the value is compelling.
But perhaps most unique and valuable of all, the Rogers MasterCard is one of a few credit cards in Canada (other than Chase cards) not to charge a foreign transaction fee – a huge benefit – and savings of 2.5% whether shopping online or travelling outside of Canada.
Right now the Rogers Platinum MasterCard offers a $35 welcome bonus, and you will never have to pay an annual fee as long as your Rogers bill is set up as a pre-authorized payment – regardless, there’s no annual fee in the first year for everyone – Rogers customer or not.
With no annual fee, a whopping 1.75% flat cash back rate on all spend and a savings of 2.5% on foreign transactions there’s every reason to give this card a try, and few reasons not to have this card in your wallet – Rogers customer or not.Apply Now!
Rogers Platinum MasterCard Review:
1. 1.75% Cash Back: The 1.75% flat cash back rate on all purchases is simply the highest earn rate of any no-fee cash back card in Canada. You’ll earn 1.75% on all purchases, whether it’s at Rogers or elsewhere, with no earning limits or categories.
Compare the Rogers MasterCard no-fee flat earn rate of 1.75% to Amex Simply Cash at 1.25%, BMO CashBack at 1%, RBC Visa Cash Back at 1%, CapOne Aspire Cash Back at 1% and TD Cash Back at .75%.
There seems to be some confusion around what you can redeem for on this card. Let’s be clear. You’ll be able to redeem your cash back rewards as a statement credit OR towards any Rogers product or service including any Rogers, FIDO or Chatr bill, any purchase in a Rogers or Fido store, the Shopping Channel, and tickets bought in person at the Rogers Centre ticket office (Blue Jays, Argos, concerts).
Rogers disclosure statements makes it clear that “you can contact Rogers Bank once per year to receive an annual statement credit for the value of the rewards you have earned during that period.” Or you can apply your cash back against any Rogers/FIDO bill or Rogers/FIDO store purchase, any time.
With the option to redeem your cash back as a statement credit, this card is just as good for non-Rogers customers as it is for Rogers customers! At 1.75% cash back, it’s the richest no restrictions cash back card in Canada.
2. No Foreign Transaction Fees: The Rogers MasterCard is one of the few Canadian credit cards not to charge any foreign transaction fees. Almost every other credit card issuer in Canada, other than Chase, charges 2.5% on any purchase you make in a foreign currency, over and above the exchange rate.
By not charging foreign transaction fees, the Rogers MasterCard becomes one of the cheapest ways to exchange your money. You will only be charged the VISA or MasterCard exchange rate, which comes close to the spot rate. It will beat the exchange rate you get with your debit card, bank branch, airport or exchange bureau by a long shot.
3. No Annual Fee: There is no annual fee in the first year. Thereafter, there is no annual fee as long as your Rogers bill is set up as a pre-authorized payment on your Rogers credit card. If you do not set-up your Rogers bill as a pre-authorized payment in your second year, the annual fee is $29.
4. Welcome Bonus: Rogers is currently offering a welcome bonus of $35. The way we look at it, the welcome bonus, plus the annual fee waiver make this card free for 2 years for everyone, regardless of whether you’re a Rogers customer or not.
Is the Rogers Platinum MasterCard Worth It?
1. For Rogers Customers: If you’re a Rogers, FIDO, or Chatr customer there are four compelling reasons to get this card and keep it in your wallet.
- The highest no-fee, flat cash back rate in the country of 1.75%
- One of only credit cards in Canada not to charge a 2.5% foreign transaction fee. If you travel, or buy non-Canadian products online, this card is for you.
- No annual fee makes it free to try
- $35 sign-up bonus, can be applied against any Rogers bill or store purchase – they’re paying you to try it out
2. For Non-Rogers Customers: If you’re a non-Rogers customer, this may still be the best credit card in the Canadian market for you.
- You can redeem your 1.75% cash back as a statement credit – not just against Rogers’ bills & services
- There is no annual fee in the first year, making it free to try for at least a year
- The sign-up bonus of $35 covers the $29 annual fee in the second year, making it free to try for two years
- Take advantage of the no foreign transaction fees for at least the first two free years. You’ll save 2.5% on your non-Canadian transactions