The Scotia Scene Visa Card is one of the most compelling no annual fee credit cards in Canada for those looking to earn and redeem their rewards frequently, without having to spend a fortune on their credit cards.
The Scene credit card is ideal for those who like redeeming their points to go to the movies, and want a high earn rate without an annual fee. The Scene Visa card also stands out with a low income requirement (ideal for students), and a sign-up bonus offer of 5 free movies (with $500 in everyday purchases within the first three months), which is rare for a no annual fee credit card.
Our feeling is, if you like redeeming for movies and you want to be able to redeem points quickly and frequently without spending tons, the Scene Visa card is one of the best values in Canada today. It’s an ideal credit card option for those who want to earn rewards they can actually use, without having to spend fortunes on their credit cards, and who may not have 6 figure incomes (yet!).
Scotia Scene Visa Credit Card Review:
1. Sign-up Bonus: Get 5,000 points, the equivalent of 5(!) free movies, when you make your first purchase with the credit card. With no annual fee, all you have to do is make $500 worth of purchases within 3 months, and you get 5 free movie tickets. That’s an easy, risk free way to get to the theatre free. What’s the downside with an offer like that?
2. No Annual Fee: As we discussed, most credit cards offering over 1% of value per dollar spent have an annual fee. This card has no annual fee and, at 1.35%, still gives you more value per dollar spent than many annual fee cards!
3. Generous Rewards: The Scene Visa card earns you 5 points per dollar spent at Cineplex Odeon theatres (Cineplex, Scotiabank theatres, Famous Players, SilverCity, Galaxy, Cinema City, etc..) and 1 point everywhere else. It only takes 1,000 points to redeem for a free movie ticket. If a movie costs between $10-$14, that means a Scene point is worth between 1% to 1.4%. Compare that to TD’s cashback card which only offers .75% and you see the tremendous value the Scene card offers.
4. Low Redemption Threshold: We like that you can redeem for movies, music and other items for as low as 1,000 points with the Scotia Scene Visa card. Many people get excited at the prospect of travelling for free. Truth is, many people don’t spend nearly enough on their credit card to make it off the runway. Consider that you may have to spend upwards of $25,000-$35,000 to generate enough points for one return ticket to Florida from Canada. Unrealistic for most.
5. Points Don’t Expire: We all know the tricks some issuers and loyalty programs play. No smoke and mirrors here. You earn your points and keep them FOREVER.
The Scotia Scene Visa Card is a great card for people who love the movies, people who don’t spend a lot on their credit cards (less than $10,000 per year), students and those who want to be able to redeem for rewards early and often without having to spend a fortune. We love that the card has no annual fee and offers more value per dollar spent than just about any other no fee card in the Canadian marketplace, let alone fee cards.
Give it a shot, if for no other reason than getting 5 free movies, completely risk free.Apply Now!