While not as well known as some of Canada’s other travel credit cards, we think the American Express Gold Rewards card is a hidden gem. Not only that, it is quietly Canada’s best Aeroplan credit card as well!
The Amex Gold Rewards card offers a huge sign-up bonus of 25,000 points, a rich reward rate of up to 2 points per dollar spent and the flexibility to book on any airline, any time or transfer points to a host of alternative airline loyalty programs, including Aeroplan at a 1:1 exchange rate. No other travel credit card in Canada gives you the opportunity to fly free faster or further with that type of flexibility – none.Apply Now!
American Express Gold Rewards
1. 25,000 Point Welcome Bonus: The Gold Rewards Card offers a 25,000 point welcome bonus enough for a return long haul flight anywhere in continental North America – a huge welcome bonus. All you have to do is spend $1,500 within the first 3 months of having the card. Because you can transfer your points to Aeroplan 1:1, it’s a great way to stock-pile 25,000 Aeroplan points!
Alternatively, you can redeem your 25,000 points as a $250 statement credit against any travel expense on your credit card statement. The welcome bonus is either $250 cash value or gets you a free return flight to anywhere in North America if you convert them to Aeroplan miles 1:1.
2. Earn DOUBLE points: The Gold Rewards Card allows you to earn 2 points per $1 spent on more categories than just about any other card, including gas, grocery, drugstores, flights, hotels, cruises, trains, and tour operators. Compare that to current Aeroplan cards in the market, where you’re only getting 1.25 points per dollar spent in the accelerator categories of gas, grocery and drugstore, and only 1 in travel. because you can transfer Gold Rewards points to Aeroplan 1:1, it effectively makes it the richest Aeroplan card in Canada as well! You earn 1 point on all other purchases. There are no limits to the amount of points you can earn and your points will not expire.
3. Flexibility: Aside from benchmark point value, this card offers unparalleled flexibility and convenience when redeeming. Here’s what we mean:
- Charge any travel you can find to your Card, with no blackouts or seat restrictions. Then call to redeem your points.
- Your points can cover taxes and fees. You can also redeem points towards a travel charge up to 12 months after your trip or purchases.
- Transfer your points instantly 1:1 to Aeroplan and Avios. You can also transfer your points to other frequent flyer and hotel rewards programs like Delta SkyMiles, Asia Miles, Starwood Preferred Guest and more.
This last point is key. By being able to transfer your point to Aeroplan 1:1, the Amex Gold Rewards Card becomes the richest Aeroplan card available (a hidden gem). In effect, by getting the Gold Rewards Card, you get 25,000 Aeroplan points as your sign-up bonus, and you can earn 2 Aeroplan points per $1 spent for gas, grocery, drug store, flight, hotel, train, cruise and other travel purchases. No other Aeroplan card in Canada offers 2X multipliers in as many categories!
4. Insurance: The value of the insurance coverage included in the Gold Rewards card alone cover the cost of the annual fee in years 2 and beyond. You get: emergency medical insurance, trip interruption insurance, flight delay insurance, car rental theft and damage insurance, lost or stolen baggage insurance, hotel / motel burglary insurance, $500K travel accident insurance, purchase protection and price protection. The value of the insurance coverage can be well over $750 per year.
If you apply online you should get a response to your application in 60 seconds.Apply Now!