Aeroplan has unveiled a new mobile app members can use to book flights using their Aeroplan Miles.
It works as follows:
- Under the ‘Use Your Miles’ section, select ‘Book a Flight.’ A Flight Rewards search form will appear;
- Select desired City/Airport location and select date field. Click ‘Done’;
- A list of potential itineraries will populate showcasing both of Aeroplan’s travel options: Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards (limited number of seats exclusively offered to members on Air Canada and Star Alliance) and Market Fare Flight Rewards (access to any seat, at any time, on all Air Canada flights based on market fares at time of booking);
- After you select a flight, a Trip Summary Page will appear;
- The member is then prompted to enter passenger details, contact information and payment entry information;
In addition to booking flights, the app also includes the following functionalities:
- Goal-setting functionality – This feature is designed to help members set their goals in the program and help them reach their dream goal faster (whether it be a travel goal or a merchandise goal). For example, put in your target number of miles to reach your planned vacation. Then watch as you accumulate miles relative to your goal;
- Account management – Members can view their account history, transactions, Aeroplan status etc.;
- Partners and Promotions listings. This is a great one to check frequently to make sure you take advantage of limited time accumulation, redemption and transfer specials;
- Partner locator map that pinpoints partners where members can earn miles based on members’ exact location. We expect this to expand as iBeacon proliferates, notifying members of offers as they pass partners with an iBeacon in their store;
- A digital Aeroplan card that can be scanned to collect miles at Aeroplan partners (Partners with retail point of sale capability only). No more need for plastic at the majority of partner locations, use one of your Aeroplan credit cards and your digital loyalty card to double dip;
- Contact section including Air Canada Altitude status priority contacts.
Obviously, given the widespread adoption of mobile, creating a redemption and status app is essential. It will be interesting to see how Aeroplan uses one to one marketing with partners as the iBeacon technology matures. Imagine your driving down the road, and as you pass an Esso station, you get a 5X Aeroplan Mile offer, because Aeroplan notices you haven’t accumulated any miles at Esso recently. If well run, the possibilities are endless.